Sunday, March 31, 2019

Korean Colors

The people of Seoul lean into a strong shared fashion aesthetic. Walking the city streets in winter, I notice that almost everyone is wearing a black or dark navy puffer jacket. Inside restaurants and bookstores, when they take off their coats, I see that the color palette continues in somber tones of black, navy, white, and dare I say it, tan as a bold accent.

I'm not exaggerating. Everyone under the age of forty apparently has pretty much eliminated vibrant colors from their wardrobe.

At first, I found the dark uniform to be a bit dull, but soon I came to embrace it. The colors are endlessly flattering to the Korean hair and skin type, and the entire city looks chic and effortlessly put together. 

And even though the people dress themselves in a monochromatic vibe, that's not to say the city lacks color.. Because what Seoul may not boast in flashy fashion, as an afternoon's walk around my daughter's Gangnam neighborhood proves, it more than makes up for with its colorful architecture. 

Some buildings go for a fully saturated color story:

^ A coffee shop in the neighborhood. I don't even drink coffee but I love to feast my eyes on this baby blue every morning. 

^ Apartments. What a sunny sight to come home to. 

^ A hot pink bridal shop with plants and black staircases that take it from good to great.


Others feature colorful design elements:
 
^ A strip of tomato red brings these neutrals to life and give me a certain sense that up on that rooftop patio, there's a party going on. 

^ Orange and yellow make good neighbors. 

^ Not even sure what that color block of school bus yellow is but I don't care. It lights up my eyeballs and I like it. 


And others concentrate their colorful fire power on the front door:

^ Yellow door is sunny and bright. I don't exactly know what this store was selling, but I sure wanted to walk through that door and find out.

^ This magenta portal may actually be an elevator but same difference. 

^ These red doors are everything. If only I could have crammed them into my carry-on bag. 


Even the construction barricades join the party mood in bright red

^ And yes, the construction crane working behind this crimson curtain was also red. 

 So here's my advice. When you travel to South Korea, pack all your black turtlenecks, leather jackets, black jeans, and navy striped tops. But be sure to bring your sunglasses too because the postmodern architecture on the city streets will dazzle your eyes.


* * * * *

A full accounting of my trip to Seoul:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!