Monday, April 1, 2019

Protect Our Planet With Reusable Shopping Bags

"What are you giving up for Lent?"
That's a common question in these forty days before Easter. And when I ask, nine times out of ten, the answer is chocolate, beer, or social media.

But what if we look at Lent as an opportunity not to just temporarily give up a bad habit but to start a good habit - a habit that makes a difference to people, to the world, to God.

This year for Lent, my goal is to protect our planet. I'm looking for ways to lessen my impact on our mother earth and bring me joy at the same time.

Here is the story of my progress. 

* * * * *

Reusable shopping bags are hardly a news flash. 

I've owned them for two decades and used them...um, less frequently than I might have.

I have good intentions but honestly, let's face it. Reusable bags are a lot more work than just using the bags at the store, and sometimes I just don't want to be bothered. 

But I have uncovered a secret. Cute shopping bags inspire me. And so I have collected a variety of reusable bags that not only suit my shopping purposes but also make me happy when I use them.


^ These are my tried and true favorite bags for my routine grocery shopping. Not only are the bags big, strong, and designed to stand fairly well, they also fold down to almost nothing for a slim fit into my purse. And when the bag is rolled to its storage size, the nifty straps at the bottom reach around the bundle and snap together to hold the squishy shape in place. I bought these on Earth Day back in 2007 and while I confess they have been used only intermittently, they are still adorable and going strong.

Shop more Envirosax here.


^ I don't feel horribly guilty about using plastic or paper shopping bags because we reuse them in a hundred different ways around the house. It's those flimsy plastic produce sacks that drag me down in shame because once the fruits and vegetables are unpacked at home, I have no further use for them. I feel much better when I use these mesh cuties to transport my tangerines and broccoli, and I'm much more likely to pick out bulk items, like individual carrots, rather than grabbing a prepackaged plastic sack. After use, I flip the bag inside out and shake any bits and pieces into the sink; every now and then I give them a quick hand wash and let them dry in the sun. 

Shop more BlueAvocado here.


^ Though I use them for ordinary grocery runs, these are the bags I'm mostly likely to take when I'm running errands at the mall or around town. For whatever it's worth, the fabric is a bit stiffer than my Envirosax bags and rather than roll into a bundle, these bags fold neatly into a square that fits into their matching pouch. At first, I was constantly misplacing those little puches when I pulled the bags out to use them, but it's easy enough to slip the pouch into the bag as soon as it's unfolded. I got the LOVE bag from Abercrombie & Fitch a few years ago, and I snapped up the strawberry and striped bags in Seoul this past winter. 

Shop more BAGGU here


^ These canvas bags are perfect for carrying books, stationery, and other flat treasures home from the store. The flat bottom, rectangular shape, and heavy fabric keep corners crisp and covers uncreased. In terms of storage features, they are decidedly old school - I hang them from a hook or lay them flat on a shelf. But what they lack in foldability they make up for in feels. Way back in the day, my daughters hand-painted them with stencils and stamps, and I love these bags all the more for their homespun charm.

Shop canvas bags at Michaels here


^ Last but definitely not least, my French market bags put a smile on my face every time I use them. Granted, they are fussy little things - any package with square corners is likely to poke through the net and ruin the aesthetic. But when I fill them with a handful of loose apples or oranges, a wedge of brie cheese, a baguette, and best of all, a bunch of fresh flowers. my reusable bag cup runneth over.
These are not the most practical bags in my reusable bag arsenal but it is entirely possible that they are the cutest.

I bought my market bags here.

* * * * *

Read on about my efforts to help protect our planet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!