Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Our Bakery



This morning we went out for coffee and pastries at Our Bakery.

Not our bakery

Our Bakery.

Get it? Koreans can be quite playful with the English language and this is a prime example.

Certainly, it’s a nice bakery. My daughter chose a croissant filled with a light chocolate custard and topped with sweet rice powder. I opted for a classic croissant and an adorable little jar of fig jam.

Sticky.
Messy.
Powdery.

Delicious.

After we ate, my daughter studied while I messaged with friends and FaceTimed with my second-born, all back in the U.S. How effortlessly we stay connected, how different the world is when we communicate literally at the touch of a finger.

As much as we all know this magic of instant connection to be real and honestly not all that new anymore, it’s another thing altogether to actually sit at your breakfast table on the other side of the planet and make it all come true. Still astonishing to me.

So in truth, this bakery - Our Bakery- does not just belong to the people sitting at the tables inside. Our Bakery belongs to the whole wide world.

* * * * *

A full accounting of my trip to Seoul:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!