Sunday, February 3, 2019

Shopping At Hara Cake


She had me at tiramisu.

As the shop clerk patiently listed off for us a long list of macaron flavors in her Seoul bakery, I struggled to keep up. Her English was perfectly lovely but my ear could not easily decipher her accent. I listened politely but I had clearly heard only the first option - tiramisu - and so I decided to make life easy and go with that

My daughter, whose ear for Korean-accented English is far more practiced than mine,  listened attentively and when the recitation was complete, she paused a moment to ponder the options and then asked me, “Do you know what you want?”

“Tiramisu,” I said.

“Two tiramisu, “ she told the shop clerk.

Sometimes, the first option is the best option.

And we both enjoyed every bite.

* * * * *

A full accounting of my trip to Seoul:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!