Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Under The Same Sun


Meet my friend, Natalie.

She's the pale face, sitting in the middle of this little heap of happy brown-headed tykes, radiating love and peace like a madonna.

Natalie is a foster mother in India, and these are her girls.


I know. It's a lot to take in. 

At the ripe old age of twenty-three, Natalie flew away from Seattle for a year-long commitment to care for these orphaned babies. Although she is affiliated with an agency that provides legal and logistical support for her foster family, from an emotional and relational point of view, Nat is very much on her own.

She protects and watches over her girls like a lioness, but fully understands the limits of her power. These children have seen and experienced unthinkable things. There is no way that anyone - not even a blond-haired American wonder woman - can wipe away their pain. But she can love on them, and share the love of God with them, and that is exactly what Natalie does. 


Since Natalie began this journey last fall, I've been staying close to her. 

It's always nice to have someone to talk to, right?

And as the months have advanced, I've seen some needs emerge. 
  • Those girls need infinite amounts of love. No such thing as too much.
  • They could use some help developing their English skills. Nat wants to support their school-based learning at home, but isn't exactly sure how to go about setting up a homeschooling plan. 
  • And even Natalie - bold, courageous Natalie - deserves some love and support for her own self. 

Somewhere a few months ago, it dawned on me that I am supposed to go help her. 

And it dawned on Natalie too.

We began to dream out loud together about me coming to visit.

And slowly, over time, that wild notion became an airplane ticket. I am leaving today for Hyderabad, India to spend three weeks with Natalie and her girls


To be honest, I'm a little freaked out. I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into.


But I'm pretty sure that whatever happens, there's going to be a lot of love.

* * * * *

To read more about Natalie's remarkable journey and outspoken love for her girls, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!