Monday, April 27, 2015

Do Hard Things

Here in India, in the room that I share with my host, hangs this sign. 


Do hard things  

Lately, I've been pondering that message, and the challenge implicit in those words. 

Surely, Natalie's year-long commitment to foster nine little girls in India counts as a very hard thing. 

And honestly, my trip here to support her has been a bit of a hard thing for me, too.

Today, as I sat on the couch with the two oldest girls, helping them learn to read through my stirring renditions of Hop On Pop, I thought what a beautifully hard thing they are willing to do. 

In fact, all these brave girls who are swapping out their early lives of brokenness and pain for this new hope of trusting the adults around them now to love and care for them - what a fantastically hard thing they do every day. 

And as my thoughts spiraled outward to my own daughters tasked with building up meaningful adult lives to my mom coping with her darkening dementia to the inherent optimism of every parent who ever lived, I came to realize that the world is overflowing with brave souls who, every single day, choose to do hard things. 

And in light of that fact, I hope to be just a little bit kinder to everyone I meet. 

* * * * *

Here is the full story of my trip to Hyderabad, India and my visit with the Indian Princesses:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!