Monday, May 4, 2015

Sanctuary

If I were to describe in a single word what Nat and I are trying to accomplish for her foster girls here in India, that word would be sanctuary. 

sanctuary
ˈsaŋ(k)tjʊəri/
noun
  1. 1
    refuge or safety from pursuit, persecution, or other danger.

Yes. 

A place where these children are safe, happy, and well cared for. 
A place where they are free from worry and danger. 
A place where they can learn and grow and make their sweet dreams come true. 
A place where the girls feel loved. 

The act of creating sanctuary can be exhausting. Especially in a culture like this one. 

Natalie has been at this task for eight months now, and she will be the first to admit that she is reaching her limits. That's exactly why I came here to the far side of the planet - to help Nat refuel and refocus for the last few months of her time here. 

And while I have not been subjected to the same rigors of sanctuary-making in my short visit, I definitely see the problem. 

Sanctuary-makers need to seek their own sanctuary as well. 

And that's why we love to go to our friendly neighborhood Starbucks.  


This lovely little outpost of Western culture, fresh food, and home sweet Seattle fills us with peace, hope, and the strength to push on another day.

Which is exactly what a sanctuary should do. 

* * * * *

Here is the full story of my trip to Hyderabad, India and my visit with the Indian Princesses:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!