Saturday, May 2, 2015

Water And The Word

How to explain God's grace and the transforming power of Jesus' love to nine little orphan girls in India?

That is my daily challenge here in Hyderabad, and I must confess that words often fail me 

Last Friday, I was feeling particularly tongue-tied. So, relying on Jesus' wordless example, I washed my little girls' feet. 


Their reaction? Sheer delight. 

See for yourself. 


^ Priyanka


^ Vandana


^ Santhu


^ Livy


^ Anitha


^ Haritha


^ Gayane


^ And last but never least, Bhavani.

Then just for good measure, I washed the adults' feet as well. 


^ Noelle


^ Teacher Munny


^ And Alyssa. 

* * * * *

This might be the right time to mention that seven of these precious girls are HIV positive. 

In a literal and very tangible way, they are the untouchables of our age. 

That fact is never lost on me. And honestly, I often have to push myself past the dangers of their flesh to let myself hold and touch and love on them without fear. 

Washing their tiny brown feet was as good for me as it was for them 


Together, we brought forth streams of love in the desert, with the help of water and the word. 

* * * * *

Here is the full story of my trip to Hyderabad, India and my visit with the Indian Princesses:


2 comments:

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!