Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Puppy At The Castle



Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro - Morrow Castle -has guarded the entrance to Havana Harbor since 1589 and to this day dominates the cityscape. 

Perched across the water from the main city, the castle provides the perfect place to see the city, stretch one's legs, and take in a sumptuous sunset. 


After the sun had gloriously descended into the Caribbean waters, my friends and I strolled back up the royal hill. Majestic clouds piled up on the horizon; heat lightning flashed all around us. 

In the gathering darkness, a princely puppy came over to play. Frisky and small, maybe two months old, he jumped up against my leg and investigated my hands. Finding no food there, he gently mouthed my wrists and clearly invited me to play. I talked to him cheerfully and he listened, sitting near my feet and cocking his head at the sound of my voice. 

My little friend was clearly not a stray. He wore a makeshift collar around his neck, with a large card I could not read in the darkness. I assumed he belonged to someone at the nearby food stall. 

But as our car appeared, and we all jumped in and moved off, I looked back to see my little friend, sitting exactly where I left  him, serenely watching as our car drove away. 

And while I know it's just a fantasy, I like to think that this regal little fellow lives on at the castle, welcoming all who come to see the sunsets. 


* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!