Thursday, September 11, 2014

Life Of A Math Teacher: My Deep Gladness

“The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” - Frederick BuechnerWishful Thinking: A Theological ABC


Mmm, today was a delicious day of freshly sharpened pencils, crisp pages at the front of new notebooks, and a full supply of Post-It flags. 

Yay for the first day of school!


Happily, in my line of work, I enjoy more than one first day. I meet with my high school algebra students in small groups or even individual sessions, one or two days a week, so over the course of the next few days, I'll be kicking off the new year over and over again.


Never in my life did I intend to become a free-lance math teacher. But this vocation surprisingly revealed itself as a place where my passions and experience benefit my mostly homeschooled students and their brave parents. Each year, new families make their way to me and ask for help; I am blessed to have them in my life.

I am one of those lucky people who wake up in the morning and can't wait to get to work. Plus I get to buy cute school supplies. And that is a very deep gladness indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!