Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Commitment

 "Commitment is an act, not a word." -Jean-Paul Sartre 


Yesterday, it happened.

After years - no, decades - no, my full literal lifetime - of wishing to be the proud owner of an in-ground swimming pool, I have committed myself to making it happen.

Or at the very least, I've committed to exploring my options by talking to real-life pool designers to see what is possible in the space I have, and exactly how much this dream of mine might cost. 

Today, I took the first step.

I googled around a bit to find Seattle area pool peeps, and found three pool designers to start with. Here's a photo from each one that highlights what it is that I'm looking for in my very own dream-come-true pool.



Not only is my backyard fairly small - my lot is a standard suburban quarter acre and most of the yard space is in the front - but I have invested much time and love in my English cottage style flower gardens. I still want my darlings to be the stars of my backyard show. So my initial thoughts are that the pool should be sleek and simple with slim margins around the edge. I love the minimalist and softly curving lines of the walkways around this stunning set up. 


In some ways, this photo is a lovely example of what I don't want: stripped down plantings, a lot of harsh rectangular lines, and a yard full of pavers. No, thank you. But what I love here is the color of deep teal of the bottom of the pool. I adore the darker tiles that have become a stylish alternative to the classic brilliant blue so often used in pools, and I'm hoping to go with a more subtle color like this one. 


No, I do not live next door to a wide and gently sloping vineyard, so this photo is rather aspirational in that respect. But I adore how this pool yields center stage to the natural environment, and presents itself as a quiet understatement amidst the gorgeous greenery of the landscape. Exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish in the humble setting of my own backyard. 

* * * * *

I realize that this is an exotic and expensive dream. But I can imagine no luxury greater that floating around my very own backyard pool on a sunny summer afternoon, or slipping outdoors at 3 a.m. for a quick splash before bed. I dream of hosting pool parties, complete with soggy towels thrown all over the yard and wet footsteps tracked around the house. I even look forward to cleaning it daily, and learning how to clean filters and fix pumps and whatever all else will need to be done to keep my dream alive. 

So tonight, I emailed each one of those three pool designers, and asked to schedule a consultation. 

I've waited a long, long time to say this, and who knows, reality may make me change my mind. 

But for now, it's official. I'm committed to getting a pool!


* * * * *

I'm a lake lady and I need water. 
Follow along as I try to make my pool-owning dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!