Sunday, October 15, 2023

Getting Stoned

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1syTtWOXAark9qlHvUp5qJOD55UDmCshO

For a long time, I imagined my stock tank pool was going to be surrounded by a wood deck.

Not exactly sure why, but I think my childhood memories of years spent leaping off wooden docks into luscious lakes really locked down the notion that wood and water go together.

But last week, as my yard guy, Juan, and I were hashing through the particulars of my project, tossing design ideas back and forth, it dawned on me that Juan was anti-deck. Or at least, he was against my dream of a low circular deck  My fight or flight reflex clocked in, my debating skill roared into high gear, and I quickly lined up my strongest arguments as to why wood was the way to go.

But then, Juan spoke the game-changing words, "What if we did a stone patio around the pool instead?"

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1dVR5dDNHJIX57956JrIScy9DS0pilw7t

And just like that, I changed my mind.

Oh, beyond the sentimental yearnings, I'd had some practical reasons for preferring wood. 

Strong clean lines.
Smooth and warm underfoot.
And the composite product I planned to use spelled out no maintenance. At all. Ever.

But you know, all at once the idea of stone felt so right to me.

So obvious.
So organic.
So true to the rest of the yard.
So darn good.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1XLtgCRymhFYNXhLxW4TbtW9yiuLiJrjw

So here we are, four tons of dark grey flagstone later. Juan and his team capped off a busy week by laying out the first of the stones around the pool. 

And I am spending my weekend staring out my kitchen window, looking past the clutter and the construction debris, enjoying the intoxicating sight of my new stones. 

* * * * *

I'm a lake lady and I need water. 
Follow along as I try to make my pool-owning dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!