Monday, August 1, 2022

My Perfect Formula For Summer Dinners

"Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability." -Sam Keen

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ceIcPSSa5JiB27Zh7TFX_eqYEVFcmJAqhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1FCbbiv30OhNg8iW1TnV6mFFS9X3yuTB-

Grilled (protein + vegetable) + fresh fruit + one surprise = the perfect summer supper. 

Look. The summer is a very busy time for me. I've got an obligation to spend countless hours every day with a running hose in my hand, lackadaisically watering flowers, blowing bits of bark off my patios, and refreshing the water in my pets' favorite outdoor drinking bowls at least five times a day. 

So I'm not saying I'm lazy. And I genuinely enjoy cooking, even the day-in-and-day-out drudgery of whipping together a family dinner on the regular.

But when summer rolls around and I'm preoccupied with running up the water bill, I need to keep my evening meals super simple yet also extraordinarily delicious.

So here's my perfect formula for the best and easiest summer suppers. 

* * * * *

1. Pick a protein. Chicken, steaks, shrimp, salmon, even a basic burger: bison, beef, or plant-based. Marinate if time allows.

2. Pick a vegetable: Zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, tomatoes, sweet corn, green beans. 

3. Season both with a good drizzle of olive oil, and generous salt and pepper, then slap them on a hot grill and sizzle 'em up. 

4. Meanwhile, wash the fruit, and put it on a tray with silverware, napkins, and glasses of ice water. 

5. Once the grill has worked its magic, heap the protein and veg on a platter and bring everything to the coolest part of the yard, which for us is our front patio. 

6. Sit down, let the cool breezes soothe your sun-soaked skin, and enjoy. 

* * * * *

But wait. Here's the best part:

In some part of the meal, add one surprise ingredient. 

Toss a handful of mint leaves into the fresh strawberries.
Add some maple syrup to the basic marinade.
Along with the salt and pepper, mix some red pepper flakes into the seasonings. 

Or in the case of tonight's dinner, serve the burgers with a festive slice of red onion. 

I know. This is not exactly rocket science, and it's probably not going to change the world. 

But my summer days are so much more enjoyable when I use this plan for building fast and fantastic meals that also challenge me to use my imagination.

And then, when dinner is over and I still have some daylight left, I go back to my hose and spend a few hours soaking the dry patches in my lawn. 

Summer is a very busy time for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!