Thursday, July 21, 2022

Deer

"We are a part of the earth, and it is part of us...the deer, the horse, 
the great eagle: these are our brothers." -Chief Seattle

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1l6Uul41wlb0h8RLkqVdoOD9MKusrh1DT

We walk, my second born and I, in the fields behind her home. Golden sunlight warms the wild grasses, a quiet hush lies over the land. 

"Look, do you see them?" 

My daughter's eye is well attuned to studying the shadows, the deep pools of shade under the trees. And there she finds them and points them out to me.

Deer. 

Mostly mamas and their young: yearlings and this spring's fawns. 

Alert, attentive, curious about our passing by.

They stare at us. And we stare at them. 

We marvel at the mystery of each other. And we leave each other in peace. 

* * * * *

Read the story of my first trip since Covid to visit my daughter in Ohio, told from finish to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!