Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Reading | Untamed

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1RT6O1U3JtWUisq_vwx6QrmK_pRd2Q7dZ

Yes, the true story here is that I bought these three books on a recent trip to visit my second-born in Ohio because she recommended them to me. 

But once I picked each one of them up, put them in my arms, and carried them around for a few seconds, I knew that I was going to buy all three because they looked so darn good together.

Right?! 

The colors.
The fonts.
The abstract designs. 

I mean, I could do without all the round psuedo stickers cluttering up the overall effect, but dang, otherwise, these graphics are insane. 

And just for the record, I do judge books by their covers. And these did not let me down.

Now let's talk about the words inside. 


* * * * *

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Xv2AdUu354aslWazHD8zMNoH3yGzDhXA

Untamed | Glennon Doyle

Short, concise stories.
Drawn from real life.
Rich metaphors.
Lighthearted wit.
And a deep, compelling commitment to tell the truth about Glennon Doyle's walk as a woman through this post-modern world.

Laying out her journey into greater wholeness, Doyle shows us the pitfalls that society has constructed for women - how to look, how to act, how to sacrifice ourselves for our children - and details how she learned to step around them. In doing so, she encourages her readers to do the same in living their own lives exactly as they wish.. 

* * * * *

"Hard work is important. So are play and nonproductivity."

Sometimes, when I'm driving around town, I'll look up beyond the traffic, the road signs, the buildings, and the clutter of our civilization and there, seemingly floating above the chaos, sits our beautiful Mount Rainier. She is strong and reassuring; she reminds me that there are times when we must look past the messy details in front of our eyes to see what is real and good and true.

"The only thing that was ever wrong with me was my belief that there was something wrong with me."

I liked this book. Loved it, in fact, because I am all about breaking out of society's boxes and living my life my way. I love to be encouraged in this necessary rebellion. 

But I didn't love every word. For example, Glennon Doyle's mothering style doesn't resonate with me; apparently, she prefers to tell her kids how the world works, rather than letting them figure it out for themselves. She delivers conflicting messages about the impact of tech devices in children's lives. And she often strikes a preachy tone, as if her approach to mothering is the Correct Approach and we would all be well served to follow her lead. 

Well. I can see how that would turn off some readers.

There are bits that come off as egotistical or humble braggy or blindly privileged. And I'm aware that Doyle has had a controversial career as a Christian mommy blogger, and written two other books that may read as inconsistent to this one. 

I want to acknowledge all the limitations and flaws that can be found in her work.

"The truest, most beautiful life never promises to be an easy one. We need to let go of the lie that it's supposed to be."

Because in order to find the beauty and wisdom in Untamed, I look past those flaws to discover the truths that Doyle inarguably reveals. Reading this book gives me a view of a glorious mountaintop, and for that I'm grateful.

* * * * *

Read the story of my first trip since Covid to visit my daughter in Ohio, told from finish to start. 



* * * * *

Hey! Wanna read more about the books I've read in 2022? Check these out"

The Vanishing Half

* * * * *

For a full list of books I've read in the past few years, click here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!