Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Waiting For Breakfast

"An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day." -Henry David Thoreau

With my family, I sat in the drive-through lane, bleary eyed and tired after a long day of exploring the Utah desert and a short night of marginally restorative sleep.

Dreaming about that first bite of the Sausage Egg McMuffin which would soon be mine, I glanced right across the emerald green side lawn of the Moab McDonald's and into the parking lot next door.

Where I was met with a gigantic visage of a big horn sheep.




A pixelated visage, at that. 

Well, I'm gonna tell you what. Without blinking an eye, I unbuckled my seat belt, popped open the front passenger door, and muttered to my shocked husband, "I'll be right back."

And without waiting for his response or even so much as glancing back to see if he heard me, I stepped off across that freshly watered grass, camera in hand, and headed straight for that sheep.


I walked all the way up close to view the squares,


then moved back to take in the total effect.

Which was, in a word, magical.



I topped off my camera roll with a dozen shots of the mural and then, satisfied, walked back to our car.

Which hadn't moved an inch.

"I wanted to take some pictures of that sheep," I unnecessarily explained to my family.

"Yes, I saw that," my husband replied.

Then, not quite so tired as before, I continued to wait for my breakfast.

* * * * *

Road Trip 2019: read all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!