Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Fox In The Snow

So last night I caught a red eye flight to Columbus, Ohio, to visit my second-born daughter. And as soon as I hit the ground, our first plan of attack was to go out for coffee.

Well. That isn’t entirely true.

The very first thing we did, once my daughter unbolted the door and let me in to her apartment, was to crawl into bed and catch a few hours of sleep.

So technically, it was the second event of my visit that we went to coffee at Fox In The Snow.

Fox In The Snow is a lovely name for a lovely shop, but after a good look around, I submit that it is all wrong. Hear me out.


^ First, up, the menu did not disappoint. I don’t drink coffee. But after a good long look at the mandatory chalkboard, I discovered that they serve chai tea. And every now and then, I do love me a foamy cup of chai. So bring on the oversized hipster coffee cups and let’s order some food.


^ Though there were loads of gorgeous pastries and rustic breakfast rolls to choose from, I was craving protein. The egg sandwich delivered exactly what I needed - two eggs with a couple hearty slices of bacon, a slice of white cheese and the perfect touch of spicy and lightly sauteed arugula. At first sight, I feared the bread would be dense and chewy. But it gave way beneath my teeth with a satisfying crunch and melted in my mouth.

Yum.

Extra points for serving my sandwich on a chunky bread board.


^ Once I ate up every crumb of my delicious breakfast, I took a good look around. interior is a post-industrial dream. Huge windows with black trim. Exposed duct work and functional garage doors. Oh, and pretty potted plants in a row of matching white pots. Yes.


^ But. As adorable as the interiors may be, it’s the outside of the coffee shop that really shines. That’s the actual Fox of the Fox In The Snow. But look. He is clearly jumping through a big patch of green ivy. You have to work awful hard to imagine the snow.


^ Back up a few steps and the problem only gets worse.

Ivy as far as the eye can see.

And a cute front door and another gorgeous black-trimmed window. But no snow anywhere in sight.


^ Side view of the front door. That gorgeous light fixture is distracting me. Oh right, back to the ivy.


^ Go round to the left of the front door and check out the side of the building.

Ivy for dayzzz.
No snow.


^ And if the overall impact of the glossy green ivy alone isn’t gorgeous enough, how about these autumn-tinged babies?


^ So  despite the poetic imagery of the original title, I submit that a much more appropriate name for this amazing coffee shop would be Fox In The Ivy.

And I do believe that Mr. Fox agrees.

* * * * *

I spent an eventful week in Columbus with my second-born - here are all the details:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!