Sunday, October 28, 2018

Chicago: The Bean

somehow turned into a road trip to Chicago. 

Not only did we squeeze an amazing amount of sightseeing into forty-eight hours, 
but we stayed a mere block away from my former office and retraced 
the streets and sights of my life in Chicago 
all those many years ago. 


Oh, if I had just one hour to spend in Chicago, I would spend it at the Bean.

I love the Bean.

Funny, this large shiny object also known as Cloud Gate was not even a twinkle in a landscape architect's eye back when I lived in Chicago. But my loyalties to this newcomer are strong.

For one thing, I love the way it stands between nature and the city; a fulcrum, a pivot point between the two essential components of a healthy urban environment.



I love the big shoulders of the skyscrapers along Michigan Avenue that stand guard over the Bean.


I love the way this balance of trees and buildings ebbs and flows as I walk around the Bean

shifting
changing
undulating

as leaves and concrete dance together. 


At the same time, I love to watch the reflection of the scenery glide by on the silvery surface of the Bean. 

My mind's eye shifts back and forth between the actual city and the reflected city, and I lose track of which is more real. 

And I love the crazy confusion. 



I love to watch people play at the Bean.

Everyone, everyone is obsessed with taking photos of themselves. But the real fun begins once they put their cameras down and look up. 

Because seeing yourself 

reflected
illuminated
transformed

by the metallic magic of the Bean is more fun than I can possibly describe. 


Chicago is a city bursting with beautiful, unique, must-see spots. 

But if I could only choose one, I would choose the Bean. 

* * * * *

I've been to the Bean once before. Go here to see more about my first visit. 

* * * * *

Read more stories about my long overdue reunion with the city with big shoulders:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!