Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Suitcase Signals


“Gracie, come here. Jump up in the bed and watch me.”

Hops in bed with boundless enthusiasm. 

“Gracie, see what I’m doing? I’m packing up my suitcase. Do you know what that means?”

Tips head curiously but has no idea. 

“I’m going on a trip, girl. Without you.”

GULP

“Don’t worry, I’ll be back. And the others will be here to take care of you. You’ll be fine.”

Ears droop. Shoulders slump. Eyes beg me to stay. 

* * * * *

I’m hoping that Gracie will soon learn that my suitcase means a temporary separation. I want her to understand what is happening when I need to leave her for a while.

And while the sight of my suitcase may send her sad signals, I also know that my faithful dog is learning to trust that I will always, always come back.

* * * * *

I spent an eventful week in Columbus with my second-born - here are all the details:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!