Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Chicago: Flamingo Again

somehow turned into a road trip to Chicago. 

Not only did we squeeze an amazing amount of sightseeing into forty-eight hours, 
but we stayed a mere block away from my former office and retraced 
the streets and sights of my life in Chicago 
all those many years ago. 

* * * * *

What had started as a day full of possibilities had become, by midday, a morning of super-charged sightseeing and powerful memory generation. With most of our one and only full day in Chicago still before us, my daughter and I decided to cool down with a meandering walk out to Michigan Avenue for lunch and a chance to rest and consider the options for our afternoon.

But look who we ran into along the way.


^ Yep. Another blast of adrenaline shot through me as we turned the corner and met with my electric friend. The lure of the orange foliage drew us closer, and involuntarily, my hand found my camera and I was off to the races again. 


^ I can't resist Flamingo


^ As we walked in, under and around the giant bird, we came across the artist's signature, welded into the form: 

Alexander Caldwell. 1973

Our quiet interlude was over. Suddenly we were fiercely hungry, and after sating our desire for photographs, we rushed off for lunch.


^ Over our Shake Shack burgers, we laid in our plans for the afternoon.

* * * * *

Read more stories about my long overdue reunion with the city with big shoulders:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!