Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Agony And The Irony

"The agony and the irony: they're killing me (whoa.)"
 - Harvey Danger


I love sending Christmas cards

I really, really do.

Over the years, my ritual has grown as many steps as Santa has bunions but I don't mind:

Creating my own cards.
Composing a newsy note about the fam's current events.
Personalizing each letter with a few special paragraphs for that recipient.
Choosing a photo that captures a fun moment in our year.
Addressing each card as I reflect on that person and what they have meant to me.
Delivering big stacks of cards to the post office where they are sent off willy-nilly across the planet.

I get huge satisfaction form this annual task.
And I do it because I want to; not because I have to.

But at the same time, I must confess. Sometimes I really hate this job.

The entire production hangs over my head, a heavy weight of responsibility.
My all-too-short pre-Christmas prep time is never long enough to get the job done.
And the celebratory mood of the Twelve Days is dampened as I scramble to get this final task stricken from my month-long to-do list.
Finishing my cards is always, ALWAYS a drama for me.

Still. I do it because I want to; not because I have to. 

I've come to accept the agony and the irony of my annual Christmas card battle of the spirits, and honestly, it's become a funny little tradition all on its own. 


P.S. I finished my 2015 cards tonight. Wahoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!