Monday, January 4, 2016

Happy Sixth Day Of Christmas

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you into something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

It must be hard to be my walnut cabinet.

Standing tall and proud, this family heirloom lords over my living room 24/7, setting a tone of style and timeless grace for the entire room.

Until every year around mid-December, when this interloper appears.



Mhmm. The Christmas tree.

And even though my walnut cabinet is handsome and distinguished beyond words, I can't help but feel bad for him. How can mere furniture compare with the glitz and glamour of a ten-foot-tall twinkling fir?

It just cannot be done.

So, in the interests of helping my walnut cabinet complement rather than compete with his December neighbor, I styled him up in a minimalist manner with a handful of mini baubles tucked in among his current cargo of air plants and driftwood:


Now make no mistake, My walnut cabinet still plays second fiddle to that gleaming tannenbaum.

But in his own way, he makes a distinctive and understated contribution to the holiday mood. Rather than imitating the strengths of his flamboyant neighbor, my walnut cabinet does what he does best and stays true to himself.


And in that way, my walnut cabinet teaches me a useful and important lesson.

* * * * *

Celebrate the Twelve Days of Christmas with me!

The Ninth Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!