Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cleaning Frenzy

Usually, they sneak up on me, unannounced and unforeseen. Like a bad cold. A runaway train. Or a rogue tornado.

But today was different. I saw this one coming on like a thunderstorm across the prairie, far in the distance yet clearly headed my way. There was plenty of time to ponder and prepare for the oncoming fury, and I was awestruck by the extraordinary power that was unleashed before my eyes.

Yeah. You know what I'm talking about. A wild and full-on cleaning frenzy.


* * * * *

I'd been having a difficult day. Not gonna say there were any major problems to deal with, but a host of niggling frustrations had worked me up to a full boil. By mid-afternoon, when I stopped for a grocery run at Target, I found myself wandering the aisles of the housekeeping section, lusting after the shiny new spray bottles and fresh microfiber cloths.

That was a pretty clear sign of what was to about to happen.

So I treated myself to an indulgent armload of cleaning products, paid my bill, and gleefully headed out the door.

Back in the car, I texted my two eldest daughters, who were innocently enjoying the day off at home, that I was about to rain down some house cleaning-crazy of biblical proportions. 

And then I drove home, fantasizing about where I would start and what I might clean.

* * * * *

What a glorious afternoon. I scrubbed spots out of the carpets, rearranged furniture, washed walls, and dusted with a vengeance. While I worked, my mind sorted out plans for upcoming home improvement projects and built up a wave of enthusiasm for keeping the cleaning frenzy alive. It was a highly productive session.

Best of all, when I came up for air several hours later, I felt refreshed, renewed and completely at peace with the world. The dark storm clouds had blown through, brilliant sunshine was now lighting up the freshly washed world, and the birds were singing.

Nothing settles my stormy moods and calms my heart like a good cleaning frenzy.

1 comment:

  1. “Nothing settles my stormy moods and calms my heart like a good cleaning frenzy.” – Who wouldn’t love to stay in a neat and clean home right? Our house won’t be able to clean itself, so we have to exert our efforts in doing so. Having a clean house isn’t just pleasing to the eye, but also a nice way to show your family how much you care for their health. Congratulations on your successful cleaning projects! I hope you’ll be able to maintain those spotless carpets and dusted corners for a little while. Thanks for the share! :)

    Ollie Munoz

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!