Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Major Pantry Overhaul

On the way home from school the other day, I was overcome with a mad desire to give my pantry a major overhaul.

There is no explaining these cleaning moods of mine. They are unpredictable, uncontrollable, and undeniable, but so much fun. I've learned to embrace them, and my family has learned to stand back and give me room.

So as soon as I got home, all heck broke loose. I emptied the pantry - lock, stock and barrel - and began the unruly task of sorting, tidying, categorizing, and reorganizing everything that was stashed inside.

Ranger looked on in curiosity, but not surprise. He's seen me go through this sort of thing many times before. See him watching me?


Okay, so far, so good.

But once I had the shelves all emptied out, I couldn't help but notice that the interior paint was no longer in its prime. 

Well. There was only one way this story was going to end.

Lay out the drop cloths!
Fire up the paintbrushes! 
Roll the Frog Tape! 

Oh, I sure do love an impromptu painting project. 

My fourth-born offered to help, and we both agreed that the painting would go much easier if we took out the shelves altogether. As I extracted them, I couldn't help but notice that they were no longer in their prime either.

I didn't even hesitate. 

Carry them out to the garage!
Power up the sander!
Layer on a few fresh coats of sealer!

Needless to say, it's been a hectic two days since this project began. My kitchen is still a disaster zone, but the pantry is looking so fresh and so clean, like an object of art:


The refinished shelves are out in the garage, drying overnight. If all goes according to plan, I will reassemble them tomorrow and then, glory of glories, put everything back inside on the following day.

I can't wait! I'm excited, hopeful, enthusiastic and confident that the finished effect will be worth all the work and mess.

Because that is the beautiful, wonderful, satisfying and magical thing about major overhauls. They always make me happy.

Ready for the reveal? Go here to see the "after" shots of my finished pantry.

* * * * *

I love to clean. And I love to tell stories about cleaning. Wanna read some more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!