Friday, July 3, 2015

My Homemade Cranberry Apple Crisp

Eat this crisp with a generous portion of vanilla ice cream and you will be transported directly to heaven. Well. Hopefully, just your taste buds will make the trip for now.


Oh sure. You've heard it all before.

This dessert is uh-MAZE-ing
You've never tasted anything so yummy.
Trust me, I could eat the whole thing.

I'm not even going to waste your time with those predictable accolades.

Because I've got the ultimate proof that my homemade cranberry apple crisp truly deserves a gold star. Though my family craves a batch of this crisp every other month or so, I need not lift a finger. This stuff is so soul-satisfyingly delicious, they make it themselves.

Dead serious. Maybe twice in the last decade, I've actually whipped up a batch of this lip-smacking goodness with my own two hands. But just last night, I washed out the baking dish from yet another rousing remake,

Yep. A dessert that makes itself. This one really is that good.

* * * * *

Taken from a wrinkled, creased and dog-eared page in my copy of Jane Brody's Good Food Book:

1. Mix together in a large bowl:

3 cups cranberries (That's one 12-ounce package. I stock up at Thanksgiving and keep them in my freezer year round.)
2 large apples, cored and sliced thin. (Leave the peels on. So much easier.)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon flour

2. Transfer the mixture to a greased, 6-cup shallow baking dish.

3. In the same bowl (no need to wash it), combine:

3 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup rolled oats, regular or quick
1/2 cup walnuts (Half the time, we're out of walnuts, and forge bravely on without them.)

Stir and then add:

3 tablespoons butter, melted

4. Mix together well - the mixture will be crumbly - and spoon over the top of the fruit mixture.

5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Let the crisp cool for 10 minutes before serving.

And for the love of all things holy, please do not forget the ice cream.


* * * * *

Ready for more stories about my most dearly beloved, tried-and-true homemade meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!