Thursday, November 28, 2013

"T" Is For Thanksgiving


In the time-honored tradition of Thanksgiving Eve, I baked a pie tonight. Blackberry, to be specific.

As my fourth-born and I defrosted the berries, sweetened and thickened the juices, rolled out the crust, and put the whole glorious shebang together, I thought of my mother, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and all the ancients before them who busied themselves on Thanksgiving Eves through the ages to ensure there was plenty to eat on the big day.

I also mused about the legions of cooks and bakers across my country tonight who are most certainly baking their own pies tonight, in myriad flavors: 

Pumpkin
Apple
Blueberry
Mincemeat
Pecan
Cherry
Rhubarb

and maybe even a Hot Fudge Peanut Butter Pie or two. Which is what my first-born made during her evening pie session. And my third-born made one as well for her Thanksgiving feast today in Vietnam.

Across time and space, unimaginable numbers of people invest their work, time, effort and expense toward a single meal in which we attempt to acknowledge and celebrate the abundant blessings in our lives.

Seems like a fine reason to bake a pie, don't you think?


* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!