Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving Dinner


This was my Thanksgiving dinner. Mmm mmmm, it was a dandy.

Roast Turkey
Crescent Rolls
Glazed Carrots
Green Bean Casserole
Macaroni and Cheese
Apple-Sage Dressing and Gravy

Like most Americans, I heaped my plate with the traditional, hearty dishes that make this holiday feast one of a kind.  It's interesting to me that in the United States of America, melting pot of countless cultures, and land of infinite variety where an individual's right to choose reins supreme, we all eat pretty much the same menu on Thanksgiving Day. It's been that way for at least a century and a half.

Americans may have to agree to disagree on politics, religion, sports, and the proper way to hang a roll of toilet paper, but by gosh, we can all agree on this fine meal.

At my house, not only do we see eye-to-eye on what to eat, but we happily collaborate on the cooking. Each year brings a few slight variations in who does what, but for several hours on Thanksgiving morning, we all cluster around the kitchen counter and take turns stirring, peeling, chopping, washing, taste-testing, and getting into each other's way. It's quite a lovely bit of chaos.

And as much as I enjoy eating my Thanksgiving plate full of deliciousness, I am even more thankful for preparing it with the ones I love.

* * * * *

Care for some more Thanksgiving stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!