Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks For Sly And Soul Train

google.com
As I've been planning and preparing for my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, a certain song about giving thanks has been running like a soundtrack in my mind.

I just spent a few minutes rooting around on youtube and found an absolutely stunning video of said song.

If you have eight minutes to burn, watch this right now.

If you aren't sure you want to invest that much time in some probably dumb, super long random video, keep reading. Give me a chance to change your mind.




Yeah. Sly and the Family Stone. An impossibly hip, totally funky, and smoothly multicultural jam band from the 60s and 70s. My mom, who has always been a fan of brass-infused rock, introduced me to these cats, and I don't think I've ever recovered from the shock.

Yeah. Soul Train. An incredibly long-lived musical variety show. Live performances by soul, funk and R&B artists, surrounded by groovy dancing teens, a window into the African-American musical culture of its day. Not to mention flashing lights and a totally boss logo.

Now, take these two flamboyant icons, stir them together in equal parts, and throw in a song called "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)."

The clip begins with a prolonged and incredibly funky, musically diverse intro.

Booty shaking commences.

As the musical energy builds to a climax, Sly makes a glorious entrance.

His outfit will knock your socks clean off. Clean. OFF.

And then, Sly begins to sing. He smiles slyly (but of course), revealing huge, perfect white teeth like you have never seen before. And he sings with the confidence and sweetness of an angel.

The words go something like this:

Lookin' at the devil, grinnin' at his gun
Fingers start shakin', I begin to run

Bullets start chasin', I begin to stop
We begin to wrestle, I was on the top

Want to thank you falettinme be mice elf agin
I wanna thank you falettinme be mice elf agin

Stiff all in the collar, fluffy in the face
Chit chat chatter tryin', Stuffy in the place

Thank you for the party, But I could never stay
Many thangs is on my mind, words in the way

I want to thank you falettinme be mice elf agin
Thank you falettinme be mice elf agin
[ Lyrics from: s/sly_and_the_family_stone/thank_you.html ]
Dance to the music, all nite long
Everyday people sing a simple song

Mama's so happy, Mama start to cry
Papa still singin' You can make it if you try

I want to thank you falettinme be mice elf agin
Thank you falettinme be mice elf agin

Flamin' eyes of peoples fear, burnin' into you
Many men are missin' much, hatin' what they do

Youth and truth are makin' love, dig it for a starter
Dyin' young is hard to take, sellin' out is harder

I want to thank you falettinme be mice elf agin
Thank you falettinme be mice elf agin


* * * * *


When the song is over, the crowd erupts in screams. Screams, I tell you! Not exaggerating at all.

Now what are you waiting for? Trust me, this video will change your life. After you watch it, you will spend the rest of this blessed and glorious Thanksgiving Day just as I am spending mine...by tapping your toe and singing to yourself, Thank you falletinme be mice elf agin.

And wishing you had an outfit just like Sly's. Go on...watch it!!

* * * * *


More Thanksgiving stories for your toe-tapping pleasure:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!