Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ranger Approves


Whoop, whoop, I've got a new coffee table!

It's made from a pallet, a throwaway hunk of wood found at the receiving dock at my husband's workplace. He dragged it home for me last winter, upon my instructions, and waited for me to come back from Malaysia to figure out what the heck he was supposed to do with it.

When I returned from my adventure, I sat him down in front of a Google image search for "diy pallet coffee table" till he got the general idea. Then I sent him out to the garage to tinker and jimmy with it until he came up with a workable design. 

The biggest challenge was to make the pallet suitably tall for a coffee table. He jacked it up a few inches with some leftover 2 x 4s and a set of heavy duty casters from Home Depot, and you know, it works. 



I absolutely love the big wide acreage of the table top. Compared to the cramped rectangle of my previous, conventionally-sized table, this model gives us lots of space to spread out.

And this is a busy place in our home. This is how the table looks on a clean day, but more often than not, you will find art projects, gaming devices, board games, nail polish, and dishes of food spread hither and yon.

I love that this table will stand up to all the abuse. It's sturdy and no-nonsense, but still interesting and full of character. I love the random holes in the wood.


Also, I love the little compartments that allow things to be tucked inside the table. I'm still deciding exactly what I want to stash in there, but there is some solid hiding potential.


And while the table is still a bit low, Ranger thinks it's just the right height for him to keep an eye on the whole room. 

And you know what? If Ranger's happy, then I'm happy. So cheers for our new table!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Court. I love it, even if it is one of the most overdone DIYs on the planet. Just promise me that if I start hot gluing crayons to an art canvas and melting them with a hair dryer, you will make me stop.

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!