Monday, March 4, 2013

And So It Begins

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013, at exactly 1:00 a.m., I boarded a plane in Seattle and flew away into the dark night sky.

My final destination? Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

From the minute I approached the gate, I felt like I was living in a dream. The spell only deepened as I settled into the 747 and drifted off into a fitful 11-hour sleep session.

During the entire flight, even in my dreams, I felt distracted, disoriented and slightly discombubolated.

But I guess that is just how it feels when your dreams are coming true.

As soon as I got to my gate in Seattle, I felt like I was in a different world. I was the only non-Asian in sight, and the air was filled with the sound of foreign tongues.

Snacks for the trip. As usual, I consumed them all within the first half-hour of the flight.


Old-fashioned airplane food!! The meal itself was pretty awful, but the cute little green dishes captivated me. Green spoon, fork and knife too!


^ Here I am. This is really happening!


My seat for the transoceanic flight was typically small and cramped. I still managed to sleep for hours, and reset my Circadian rhythm to Malaysia time.


My gate in the Tawain airport had turquoise floors and brilliant sunshine.

^ My first sight of Malaysia. And look who is here to greet me...the Kelantan River! I recognized it right away by its muddy color and the distinctive hairpin bend, and felt welcomed by its friendly face. Hello, little country!

* * * * * 

I've gathered up all my stories from my southeast Asian travels and published them in a new feature called Me in Malaysia. To find these tales of my amazing adventures, go here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!