Monday, September 2, 2013

Number 45: Texas


I went on a family road trip this summer. For more on my travels, read:


* * * * *

Two and a half days after leaving home, I crossed the state line from New Mexico, rolled into the northwest corner of the panhandle, and it was official. At long last, I made it to Texas!

{Like most Americans, I have a dream of visiting all fifty states, and Texas is my forty-fifth. Still on my wish list are Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, and Mississippi.}

I was thrilled to finally see the Lone Star State with my own two eyes. For years, I've dreamed of visiting this legendary land of cowboys, oil barons, and bluebonnets covering the rolling hills. I was expecting great things from this once-independent republic and I must say, I was not disappointed. Wide open vistas, sprawling oaks, lush green fields, and a beautiful fiery sunset: not bad for my first few hours as a Texan.

But it wasn't just the sights of nature that stole my heart. Texans take enormous pride in their homeland, from the "Don't Mess With Texas" anti-littering signs on the interstate to the down-home hospitality shown to us outsiders to the prominent and frequent displays of their beloved Lone Star flag. Gotta love a state where people paint flags on their rooftops, just because they can.

So thanks for the kindhearted welcome, y'all - you surely live up to your Texas-sized image.


* * * * *

Ready for more sunset-related adventures? Read these:

2 comments:

  1. How appropriate that it's 45--We became a state in 1845 after a decade of being our own country--hence the enormous state pride you noticed. :)

    JoAnne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only US state to have at one time been an independent nation...the Republic of Texas! I learned everything I needed to know about Texas from James Michener. ;)

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!