Sunday, June 23, 2019

Vamos A Mexico!

Another Streicher daughter is having a landmark birthday this month, so we're off to Cabo to celebrate!

Now, I understand. Visiting a resort town in Mexico is not the same thing as visiting Mexico. 

Not by a long shot. 

Wrapped in the artificial cocoon of unlimited food and beverages, attentive service, and poolside lounging, my eyes are blind to the true daily life of the Mexican people.

At the same time, there is no denying that:

my first night's dinner of local tequila and lime in my margarita, and catch-of-the-day fish tacos, 
the playful half-Spanish half-English banter with my waiter, and
the sweet cooling breezes drifting in off the water where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez,

are all uniquely and soul-satisfyingly Mexican. 

So while I'm here in Cabo, two thousand miles south of Seattle in this seaside city awash with dazzling sunlight, I will treat myself to the luxuries laid out for visiting Americans. And I will watch, too, for the glimpses of the genuine hearts of the Mexican people, who are here to watch after me during my stay.


^ Salud to a week-long birthday celebration!


^ A round of appetizers? Yes. They are almost as delicious as the coloruful serapes that decorate the table. 


^ Cinnamon sprinkled deep-fried churros were standard fare at every cultural feasting day in my high school Spanish class, and I feel a lovely sense of life coming full circle when I nibble on the genuine article at my Mexican dinner table. Son muy deliciosos. 


^ After dinner, we strolled down the steps and across the soft coral sand to stand on la playa where the breakers roll in. Across the way is Land's End, the rock formation that marks the southernmost tip of Baja California Sur


^ Refreshingly cool water tickles my toes, and a brisa fresca blows through my hair and soothes my soul. Shortly after taking this photo, I jumped in for a swim. 

* * * * *

Just an hour or two after arriving, I feel the weariness of the long trip south slide away, to be replaced with a simple calm. Not sure if that is just a factor of 24/7 free room service at my fingertips, or if perhaps the Mexican simpatico mindset is already taking hold.  

Either way is fine with me. 

We've gone to Mexico, and Mexico is a good place to be. 

* * * * *

Read all about my latest trip to Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!