Monday, April 8, 2019

Protect Our Planet With Glass Food Storage

"What are you giving up for Lent?"
That's a common question in these forty days before Easter. And when I ask, nine times out of ten, the answer is chocolate, beer, or social media.

But what if we look at Lent as an opportunity not to just temporarily give up a bad habit but to start a good habit - a habit that makes a difference to people, to the world, to God.

This year for Lent, my goal is to protect our planet. I'm looking for ways to lessen my impact on our mother earth and bring me joy at the same time.

Here is the story of my progress. 

* * * * *

Here's a common sight at my house: the fridge is stocked with (clockwise starting at the left end of the top shelf)

water,milk and orange juice
a basket full of apples
eggs, jam, and milk in a frothing pitcher
a head of boston lettuce and a dish towel full of herbs
cheese 

and my favorite

an assortment of leftovers.


Eggplant curry and lots of rice.
A turkey tomato sauce (originally served over cauliflower gnocchi but that was quickly devoured.)
Whole wheat pizza dough.

For my money, home cooking only gets better with age and I am only too happy to plan my breakfast and lunch menu around leftovers from dinner. Back in the old days, my daughters used to help me polish off these delicious tidbits but now, for the most part, they are mine, all mine. 


But here's whats new. 

Glass storage containers.

Gone are the plastic Glad food storage containers I used by the dozens, and even the old school Rubbermaid from back in the twentieth century. 

Whether they were causing me harm or not, I let them all go and ushered in a new era with a set of glass storage containers. 

I love them... 

Now if we could only find an alternative to the plastic lids. 

Shop this Pyrex 18-piece set here.

* * * * *

Read on about my efforts to help protect our planet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!