Sunday, October 21, 2018

Anemone Hupehensis

True fact: I am a wildly enthusiastic gardener. Each spring, as soon as the longstanding puddles of winter rain show the first signs of fading away, I'm toeing up to the start line with my tools in hand, itching to get to work.

The passion fuels me all summer long. My family can attest to the many evenings when they have to come outside and all but drag me out of the garden and into the house for dinner. 


I truly and genuinely love digging around in my garden.

Until autumn rolls around.

It's the weirdest thing. Sometime around mid-September, I've had enough gardening for the year. 

Of course, I still want my gardens on point. I could fuss around with dahlias or chrysanthemums or pots of ornamental cabbage and flowering kale, but honestly, I just cant get excited about any autumn flowers that need my help. I'm all about a fall-blooming plant that will do the heavy lifting for me. 

And that is why I love anemones.

You are looking at a path through my garden that has been overrun by sweet pink blossoms on delicate yet surprisingly sturdy stems. I will enjoy them until they are done blooming, and then I will yank out each plant in a single, satisfying tug and heave them into the compost, and my path will be a good as new. 

Known as Japanese anemones or windflowers, they wait patiently all summer, lush dark green leaves filling in forgotten corners in my beds and borders. And then just as I am running out of enthusiasm, these pink darlings burst into bloom. 

And here's the best thing of all - anemones are ridiculously easy to grow. They spread through underground tubers and honestly, if left unchecked, they can become a bit invasive. 

But here's the great thing about them: if I don't like where they are growing, I just reach down through their leaves, grab them down at the base of their stems, and yank them out.

You heard me. Yank. 

One smooth, even tug and the whole plant comes out clean as a whistle. This is a species that is a strong self-starter but also takes direction like a champ.


So if your fall garden could use an effortless pick-me-up, trust me. The anemone hupehensis is my friend and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!