Monday, July 6, 2015

Patriotic Picnic

Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.
- George Washington

For a festive Fourth of July, there is nothing I like better than a backyard picnic. 


Unlike the troops at Valley Forge, we had plenty to eat.

Cheeseburgers
Potato salad
Corn on the cob
Watermelon
Baked beans

And for dessert, root beer floats.

These tried-and-true favorites satisfy my family like none other, and speak to all the best American summer holiday classics.

And you know, everything tastes more festively delicious when partaken under a patriotic banner.


I'm no Betsy Ross, but with a little inspiration, I came up with a plan.

Cut a handful of plain ol' printer paper into fourths.
Use watercolors to paint stripes on both sides.
Spread them out across a sunny trampoline and let the wind blow them about.
When dry, fold two corners together and make a angled cut.
Fold the top edge over about a centimeter.
Glue the pennants onto a length of twine.
Unfurl the banners and set them to snapping in the breeze.

To round out our Independence Day celebration, we discussed over cheeseburgers key dates in the American Revolution, the road to independence for other British colonies, and the quick wits of Ethan Allen.

And while I can't say whether or not General Washington had a sweet spot for cheeseburgers, I'm sure he would agree that this patriotic picnic cultivated peace and harmony aplenty, as well as a contented tummy.

2 comments:

  1. perfectly patriotic! <3 love-love-love your banner!! -h

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you approve! And I may have a little surprise for you. Watch your mail.

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!