Saturday, November 9, 2013

Make It Work


I can teach my art students about the elements and principles of design.
I can show them the classic masterpieces of art, and point out what makes each one special.
I can instruct them on how to use different media, like charcoal and watercolors and acrylic paints, and underscore the importance of careful workmanship.
I can design projects that give them opportunities to put all their newfound knowledge into practice.

What I absolutely cannot do is make them think creatively. I can't make them experiment, take risks, or imagine new ways of doing things.

Luckily, they are very good at doing those things all by themselves.

Which means that when my students are busy at work, creating, experimenting, taking risks and imagining new things, I am not really teaching them at all. I'm more of a coach, a guide, an observer or a mentor.

In essence, I am the Tim Gunn of my Project Art Class. 


And my amazing students always find a way to make it work. Even the tiny babies.


* * * * *
For more stories about my talented and adorable art students, read:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!