Friday, September 27, 2013

Lights



My darling little art students are growing up.

Because our out-of-the-box school-for-homeschoolers is crazy and cool, teachers can work with the same group of kids for years on end. With this group, we've been making art for about six years now, and that is a long and lovely time to be together.

And while they still adore many of our old tried-and-true projects - like bubble painting, splatter art, and string painting - my students are also maturing as artists. Today, we used pencils to created value scales - which are basically black and white rainbows. Then we put those techniques to work in our drawings of white cubes, which were illuminated with bright light to create strong shadows.

Typically assigned to students at the high school level, these technical projects did not frighten my young padawans. While most are just 9 to 12 years old, they all successfully tackled the assignment with good spirits and created beautiful work. Even my little kindergartner sat right down and gave it her best shot. My students are motivated, positive-thinking, eager learners and it's a joy to work with them.

* * * * *

Just a few months ago, I wasn't sure I was going to continue this class. Finally, all of my own daughters have graduated from this program and I wondered if maybe it was time for me to move on, too. But even in this dark classroom, the light of my students' passion for art has called me back home, and I'm very glad of that.


2 comments:

  1. and we are forever grateful you came back to teach our kids and mentor us mommies.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see...Sydney graduates in about 15 years, right? I can probably hold out that long. :)

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!