Friday, November 8, 2013

Judging Books By Their Covers

“Some people say, ‘Do not judge the book by its cover!’ 
People can say anything they want to say, but for me, cover does matter.”  


Ever since I was a very little girl, I have loved books and the art of reading. See? Here's proof.


Yep, that's four-year-old me, lounging around my childhood renovation-in-progress living room. I'm wearing my bathing suit, which is a perfectly normal all-day outfit for a child of Michigan's lake country, and my legs are propped comfortably on a mid-century Eames fiberglass chair. 

No doubt about it, my mother was a hipster.

But my point here is that even at that tender age, I hungered for a good story. Growing up, I mostly read from library books but as an adult, I've been passionate about growing my own collection of interesting volumes.

Cookbooks, 
travel guidebooks, 
contemporary novels,
classic literature, 
scientific reference, 
textbooks,
history collections, 
art volumes, 
how-tos, 
inspirational literature, 
and gorgeous, oversize coffee table books.

I crave almost any kind of book imaginable.

But in the past couple years, I've fallen in love with a new dimension of books. I am obsessed with their covers.

I know. That sounds so shallow, doesn't it? 

But I can't help it. I adore the clever titles; the fanciful fonts; the glossy, sleek dust jackets as well as the luxurious, matte softbound coves. And can we just talk about the rich, saturated colors? 

In fact, while I've always considered the insides of books to be the main aesthetic attraction, I have now come to see the physical books as objects of art in their own right.

And in my almost-finished library remodel, I've been stocking my bookshelves with gorgeous volumes that punctuate the room with their color and style.  Orange, red and yellow are the themes of the day, and by stretching my budget at thrift stores, I've picked up dozens of artful volumes that have transformed my bookshelves from blah to beautiful.

Here is just a sample. Feast your eyes. And join me in judging these gorgeous books by their covers.


* * * * *


Wanna catch up on the full story on my office makeover? Read these::

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!