Friday, January 9, 2015

Heidi And I Go For A Walk

The other day, my friend, Heidi, and I decided to go for a walk.

Nothing fancy. Just a chance to stretch our legs as we talked and caught up with each other's news. So we left her house and strolled through her neighborhood, headed toward the nearby park.

Up and down a few rolling hills we traveled, and tiptoed across a tiny stream, protected for the local salmon run. Then we stepped out here.


Oh, hello, pretty Puget Sound. 

Up and down the length of exposed beach we hiked, crunching across the rocky tidal plain.

Then we nimbly crossed the salmon stream again, toes still dry, and headed toward the main trail.

{Oops. My phone battery died along the way so please take a moment to imagine a classic Ewok forest cascading down a steep bluff, and you'll have the perfect image.}

Up, up, up through the towering Douglas firs we tramped. A slight drizzle kept us cool and a comfortable; interesting conversation kept our minds off our toil. We perservered to the very top.

Then down, down, down we rambled, heels dug into the steep trail for stability, and retraced our steps all the way back to Heidi's cozy house.

We said our goodbyes and I drove home, and that was the end of my walk with Heidi.

Correction. That was almost the end of my walk with Heidi; there was still one more little surprise to come. Shortly after I got home, Heidi messaged me a screen shot. The photo showed her daily activity totals from her pedometer app, and it seems that on our little walk, she and I had walked 4.7 miles and climbed the equivalent of 69 flights of stairs!!

Amazing things happen when Heidi and I go for a walk.

* * * * *

More stories about beach hikes? Here you go:

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed myself completely! Thank you, Diane, for the walk.

    -h

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!