Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Embracing Change

Happy cheesecake to me!

Ever since I was in middle school, I’ve been requesting angel food cake for my birthday. 

Yeah. Fifty-plus years I’ve been celebrating with that light, tangy sponge, the crispy layer of pink glaze, perhaps a spoonful of fresh raspberries, and the delightfully cooling hit of vanilla ice cream. There’s a lot to enjoy about my lifelong birthday treat of choice and I’ve loved every minute of the delicious ride. 

But a few years back, something awoke in me. 

“Sure, angel food birthday cake is great,” my inner change-maker observed. “But what else could you choose?”

Game-changing moment. 

Since my epiphany, I’ve mixed it up. No conventional cakes for me - my daughters cover the chocolate and carrot cake bases thoroughly on their own birthdays so I’ve been exploring new directions. 

A spongy trifle? Check. 
Banana cream pie? Why not?

This year, I chose a New York cheesecake. Extra lemon for plenty of zest. And it was delicious. 

Next year, who knows? I may go back to good old angel food; that’s always an option. But for now, I am embracing change. 


* * * * * 

A tour through just a few of my angel food birthday cakes of the past:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!