Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Just Chillin'

"For millions of Americans, climate change is no longer just a chart or a graph. 
It's the smoke on our tongues from massive wildfires. 
It's the floodwater invading our homes and record-breaking hurricanes and heat waves." 
- Jay Inslee

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1aFgyTzttQ005H_NyIRy1vcD8kDjvJkbu
^ Sirius spent most of the day today just chillin' on this couch. 
With a box fan set to high angled into the room, he was one cool kitty. 

This week, it's our turn here in the Pacific Northwest for an ungodly heatwave, and while 32°C / 90°F temperatures don't necessarily register as crazy hot in many parts of the world, it's a lot hotter than what we soggy forest dwellers are used to.

And our pets.

As we ease into the burning flames of hell, I'm well prepared to minimize our human discomfort - the box fans are humming, window shades are rolled down, and our dinner menus feature light, fresh, and cool meals. My confidence in our ability to ease through the week is high.

Of greater concern to me are my pets. 

What with their full-body fur coats and limited ability to serve themselves a popsicle, my pets benefit from a little extra help to get through these hot days. Here are my top strategies for keeping my pet squad safe and comfy in the heat. 

Stay inside in the heat of the day
Clever creatures, we've already noticed that our pets are switching up their usual habits in the out of doors, and all of them are choosing to spend much more time inside the house during the hot hours of the day. Not only does this give them a break from the searing heat of direct sunlight, it also allows us to keep a better eye out for any signs of heat-related distress. Win/win.

Take them out at night
We're also encouraging our pets to enjoy the great outdoors during the cooler hours of the day. I've shifted Gracie's walk time from late afternoon to early evening - we headed out today around 6:30 p.m.- and at that hour, the temperature had already dropped down to a (slightly) more reasonable level. The kitties are choosing to go outdoors around sundown, which is not their usual jam, and simply lounge by the back door for an hour or two, enjoying evening settling in. 

Keep the water coming. 
Because my cats spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer, and Gracie drinks like a crazed camel, keeping them supplied with fresh water is always on my mind. We've got several big bowls and pots of water here and there around the yard, and of course, there's Gracie's swimming pool. Rather than following my usual habit of freshening up the watering holes every morning, during these scorchers, I check back every couple hours all day long to refill each receptacle with cool water and whenever possible, move it out of the sun and into a shady spot. When I'm feeling particularly doting, I add ice.

Watch for signs of distress.
If the worst should happen, and one of my pets got overheated, the symptoms might range from excessive panting and difficulty breathing to heavy drooling, weakness, and ugh, collapse. Let's hope it never comes to that, but we stay alert to their behavior, and have an emergency plan to drape any distressed pup or kitten with a cool, water-soaked towel. 

* * * * *

This heat wave won't last long. Today was expected to be the worst of it; we have highs in the high 20s/80s for the next five days, we will soon enough be dropping back into our more typical summer weather. Look for my post on how I protect my pets from hypothermia, coming soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!