Thursday, February 11, 2021

Sending Valentines

"My mission is to make the world happy and cute and to love everyone. 
I think I'm doing a pretty good job." -Poppy

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1AqE1zcOghujnuk0WTcnGXxuX_LIUbm4m
I found at least seven different styles of cards made by yours truly over the years. 

I'm on a mission.

A mission to reclaim Valentine's Day.

Too long in our culture has February 14 been stamped as a privilege for only the coupled members of society, an inward-facing celebration for lovers and life-long partners that makes the rest of the world feel like outcasts and losers for the horrible crime of being single.

No more, I say. NO MORE.

I say we take Valentine's Day back to its roots. The original Valentines honored on February 14 were Christian martyrs who died for their faith. Self-sacrifice is no longer an officially sanctioned way to celebrate, but proclaiming the love of God is spot on. 

And since God loves us all, then I am ready, willing, and able to leap to the happy conclusion that this is a day to celebrate love in all its forms.

Please leap with me. 

And let's celebrate this day of love. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1i2YxDymCr2q4pCdh7_tbuKx77uROLILV
Some are shaped as little hearts meant for tucking into a pocket or a book or a month-and-a-half-belated Christmas card; others are designed as postcards ready to drop straight into the mail. 

Today I spent a lovely winter afternoon getting my Valentines ready for the mail.

Um, and my Christmas cards too. 

What can I say. Sometimes my holiday greetings lag a bit behind the season. But I like to think that I make up for my lateness by adding some special touches.

If you can think of anything nicer than getting an old-school Christmas card with a personal, handwritten note and a bonus handmade Valentine tucked inside, then please let me know what it is and next year, I'll work that into my plans. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1nnlJ_122u0MpdLbarpMhpjOv9_u80k1F
This one I must have made fifteen years ago. 
High time you flew away, little bird, to deliver a message of love to a friend. 

To tell you the truth, I was expecting to spend today manufacturing a fresh batch of Valentine cards, but as I sorted through my designated Valentine-making bin, replete with shiny heart stickers, pink pom-poms, and a wealth of glitter and sequins, I found much to my delight and surprise a veritable avalanche of unused Valentines left over from previous years.

I have on hand more than enough cards to send far and wide for this year. 

So with great joy and a sigh of relief, I'm sending these little gems off so they can finally accomplish their mission of spreading love around the world. 

And for me, that's the perfect way to celebrate this beautiful day of love. 

1 comment:

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!