Thursday, July 23, 2020

Big Red Balls Redux

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1HLW-4Rl8ekvzlZFInj3Zj-xXc4ZjbXdQ
At different times of year, the plants here wax and wane. Right now, things are looking a little rough. But my big red balls are killing it. 

Well, all I can say is that it was about darn time. 

My big red balls had been looking mighty shabby. 

And considering their only purpose in life is to look good, this was not an acceptable situation. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1RX_JvGPPJJFUK5wpnlP8pJ4KcvZYThfP
The foxglove has just about ended its 2020 run. But imagine the glory of a half-dozen tall lush spires of these delicate purple trumpets, waving over my big red balls like guardian angels. 

My big red balls are actually white acrylic globes, intended to live their lives as ordinary light covers. But years ago, I envisioned them painted in shades of pink and red, living their best life as overgrown inorganic berries, forever brightening a stubborn patch of garden with their whimsical fruit.

And you know, by and large, they have lived up to my hype. 

The neighbors ask me, from time to time, polite perplexity written all over their faces, if there is a particular meaning or purpose to my big red balls. 

They are Art, is my only explanation. Because really, that says it all.

* * * * *

Anyway, the other day I noticed that the art was looking pretty shabby. Five of the eleven balls had mysteriously rolled away - the winter winds will do that - and the paint on the six who'd stayed behind was faded, chipped, and definitely the worse for wear.

As always, love is the best answer. After a quick trip to the Depot to replace the MIA, and a few hours of TLC, mostly scrubbing off the dirt and spraying on some fresh color, my big red balls are back in full display. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Ubljv6Vq-1DyazU7J7FwvWhiK0sY5h32
Someday soon I will rake up the fallen leaves, lay down a fresh layer of bark, maybe even plant more of the lush ground cover that has grown here in the past. But for now, my big red balls are the main attraction. 

While the overall effect may be a bit scruffy, what with the random scraggly foxglove plants  and the  yellowing rhododendron leaves littering the installation, my big red balls arrest the eyeballs and captivate the imagination of all who pass by. And that is exactly what they are meant to do. 

* * * * *

More stories about my big red balls.



* * * * *

I've experimented with other colors too:


But I always go back to red. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!