Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Roll With The Changes

"o if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages
I'll be here when you are ready
To roll with the changes"

- REO Speedwagon

When I was growing up, I loved to change my room around. I had a teeny tiny space all to myself with a bed, a small dresser, and a built-in desk and bookshelves. Doesn't sound like much to swap around but it was amazing how many different iterations I could find. Each rearrangement made me feel like I was living in a whole new space, and I loved the feelings of freshness and freedom that came with each change.

* * * * *

Fast forward quite a few years and my bedroom now is considerably bigger, with several more pieces of furniture. But interestingly, I rarely rearrange the furniture. Everything has kinda worked its way into its logical place, and I don't want to disrupt the self-settled feng shui. 


Instead, I entertain myself by rearranging the accessories. 


Plants
Candles
Books
Paintings
Bits and bobs


I subscribe to the theory that as long as you gather together things that you truly love, no matter how diverse or mismatched, they will all reflect you own sense of style and therefore work in harmony.

So with respect to that mindset of chaos and change, allow me to present the latest version of my room.

^ Art by me, spheres by Hobby Lobby. I don't know why but geometric shapes make my brain happy.

^ Bought this table at least five years ago from Target; replaced the plastic top with a plywood circle and spray-painted the base. 

^ True confession: as much as I love hanging plants, I am super uptight about drilling holes in my ceilings to install the hooks. I am (somewhat) okay with holes in my walls, but imperfect ceilings freak me out. That's silly. I'm working past it. 

^ The chair was from IKEA ages ago and my cats love to sleep on the back of it in the afternoon sun. 

^ I like to look down on my green things. Pink bowl from Target, terrarium from Hobby Lobby.

^ This pathos is just a few years old and already he has mastered the art of the spill. Love those cascading leaves. 

^ Black and white photos from my Instagram feed in the iconic square IKEA Ribba, a Mexican blanket from Gunn & Swain, another wire Target table hacked with a wooden top and some spray paint, and my diffusing station. 

* * * * * 

Now, if you don't mind me saying so, I will tell you the whole truth. These snapshots capture the state of my bedroom about a year ago. And today, while the basic elements are still in place, most of the details have been swapped around yet again. 

As for me, I am still rolling with the changes. 



P.S. Spring quarter of my freshman year of college, my amazing new boyfriend got tickets with his friends to go see REO. Sadly, he gbought them before he met me, so on the night of the show, there was nothing for me to do but send him off with a smile and wait out the miserable hours till he came back and told me all about it.

I think I learned an important lesson that night, something about rolling with whatever life sends me. But mostly, I just remember that amazing boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!