Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Anatomy Of A Birthday


When it comes to birthdays, I love to go all out. For my daughters' birthdays,  the sky's the limit. IN the name of birthday fun, we've adventured all over Seattle, eaten cupcakes on the ferry, explored new beaches, chased down favorite restaurant meals, skied Stevens Pass, flown to Cabo. Once I even went to Vietnam for a birthday celebration. 

But my birthday is a little bit different. 

My birthday comes on New Year's Day, after the long build-up to Christmas, the major pay-out on the twenty-fifth, and another full week of holiday extravagance, not to mention New Year's Eve. This year's festivities leveled up even higher with a much-anticipated homecoming from my Asian-dwelling third-born, who packed back up her suitcase and headed back across the Pacific Ocean to Seoul on the last day of 2017.

Which all goes to show that by the time my birthday rolls around, most of the celebratory air has already been let out of the balloon.

That's fine by me. This year, as usual, I was ready for a relaxing, reflective, restorative birthday and that is exactly what I got.

* * * * *

I slept until I felt rested. I slowly eased into my day by reading, petting my big shaggy dog who was still stretched out lazily across the bed, and wondered about the new year ahead of me..

I found two bouquets of birthday flowers on my nightstand. .

Around one p.m., I went downstairs to discover my husband parked in front of the television. Those college bowl games don't just watch themselves, ya know, so he was doing what was necessary. I ate a sandwich, wandered around the house, made some to-do lists in my head, and took Gracie on a walk.

The sky was blue; the air was crisp and cold. 

By early evening, my daughters returned home from their retail workplaces. They pulled off their coats, scavenged for snacks, and told me about their days. Even though it was my birthday, I gave them a break and cooked dinner myself. Just felt like the right thing to do.

I tried a new pasta recipe and it was fantastic.

Then we had cake and presents and one short movie because everyone was tired and facing an early morning next day. By 10:30 p.m., everyone in the family was tucked in bed and sound asleep for the night.

Including Gracie. 

* * * * *

And while I will be the very first one to admit that that was a pretty ordinary and uneventful birthday, it was just the one that I wanted and needed. I'm glad I went all out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!