Monday, December 8, 2014

Festive Fireplace

I love to decorate for Christmas.

But I prefer to do it very slowly. 

The halls of most American yuletide-loving homes are fully decked by the close of Thanksgiving weekend, but that's when I'm just beginning my process. Armed with bits of paper, tree branches, fishing line, assorted garlands, and twinkle lights, I expect to spread the job out over the next few weeks.

Here, in day-to-day installments, is the story of how my house is getting ready for Christmas.

* * * * *

Last Friday night, I saw a bunch of my high school math students in a whole new light.

Usually, they are sitting around a table with me, solving equations, copying formulas, and listening politely to my endless stream of wackadoodle side stories, 

But this time, they were dancing in choreographed union, throwing down hip-hip moves to TobyMac jams, and sharing powerful testimonies about how God is moving through their young lives. 

My mind was blown. 

When I got home, with my thoughts still completely wrapped up in this transforming experience, I sat down with a stack of origami paper and began to fold.

Within a few episodes of The 100, I had an armload of white and gold paper cubes. 

Pause Netflix.

Time for a quick trip out to the garage, where I rummaged around various Christmas storage boxes for a little bit of this and that. Back inside, I draped and festooned and arranged and dolloped until, at 4 a.m., this happened. 


Now I'm not saying that my family room's Christmas up-do compares in significance to teenagers who know who they are and what they stand for. 

But I am rather pleased with how this festive fireplace transformation worked out. 


And Ranger agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!