Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Importance Of Being Orange

Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering.



I came across this lovely sentiment in my Facebook feed this morning, and while I immediately understood how I might apply these encouragements to my own life, the second thought that just as quickly flashed into my mind was this:

Pumpkins.

Here's where I'm coming from. For the past few weeks, Pinterest has been loaded down with a dizzying array of decorated pumpkins. We are talking about:


Trust me, that's just the tip of the DIY iceberg. The crafty blogosphere is all but collapsing from the weight of all these fanciful interpretations of fall's favorite gourd, and you know, to a certain extent, I celebrate that innovation and boundless creativity. 

But at the same time, I find myself wondering, over and over again, what's so wrong with a plain ol' pumpkin? 


As you can see, at my house, I prefer for my pumpkins to be naked and unadorned, just as Mother Nature intended. I don't think they need to be festooned or fussed over in any way.

Maybe that's because I'm a snobby purist. That's entirely possible.

But maybe it's because when I see a authentically natural, boldly orange pumpkin on display, I can't help but believe that the genuine and daring fellow is:

living his truth,
expressing his love,
sharing his enthusiasm,
walking his talk,
dancing and singing to his music,
embracing his blessings,

and most definitely, making my day worth remembering.

And for that lesson in being yourself, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!