Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fall Vegetables



Let's be honest. Fall vegetables are kinda ugly.

We are talking about gourds, tubers, and fungi, most of which are the color of dirt.

Some have freakish bumps and bulges; others have bizarre stripes, speckles and spots. Most of them look like alien life forms. 

And while they can be delicious - especially when laden with olive oil, salt and pepper - these funky fellows rarely show up on any culinary top ten lists. 

But I admire them. Despite their earthy inelegance, I appreciate that they show up every year, unapologetically and authentically just being themselves. Warts and all.

I think that I could take a lesson from them.

* * * * *

For more stories about fruits and vegetables, try these:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!