Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Langkawi: In Search Of The Perfect Beach

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." 
-Vince Lombardi


Here's the thing about Nana. She doesn't like to waste time.

So when my host for this lovely island getaway decided that we needed to find the perfect beach, I knew there would be no messing around. 

And when she directed me to pack up my beach bag and head out to the car with a commanding, "Jom!" I didn't ask any questions. I sat down, buckled up and waited to see what would happen next.

This is where Nana took me.


Oh my goodness. Skull Beach, despite its macabre name, was heaven. Sadly, I took very few photos on this afternoon. But that's because I was so busy playing in the water. The soft golden sands and warm turquoise water were everything a pale, rain-soaked, wiinterized Seattleite could dream of, and I basked in the balmy, buoyant waters of the Indian Ocean for hours. Just look at those water-logged fingers!

* * * * *

The next morning, Nana was on a mission to find a new, even better beach. She set her sights on Pantai Tanjung Rhu, on the northernmost tip of Langkawi Island, and I was excited to see what we might find.

After a long, painstaking drive, we arrived and quickly piled out of the car to explore. On the plus side, the row of sea stacks guarding the entrance to our little lagoon was enchanting, and the tall, puffy clouds beautiful. I also quickly found a handful of darling, tiny shells.

But this was a very narrow beach; just a few steps in from the water's edge was a steep drop off, leaving little room to play. Compared to wide, shallow Skull Beach, where we could safely venture at least thirty meters out from the shore, Tanjung Rhu was insufferably small and dangerous.


As we stood there, glumly surveying our circumstances, Nana did a brave and wonderful thing. She said,"Let's not waste our time here. Why don't we just go back to Skull Beach?"

And so that is exactly what we did.


We spent another blissful couple of hours in our little private paradise. I helped Nana and Izah learn to float, and we all got lovely sunburns. And best of all, when we finally forced ourselves out of the water and back into our clothes, a thunderstorm came crashing down on Skull Beach. 

Which just goes to show that not only did we find the perfect beach, two days in a row, but we didn't waste any time at all.

* * * * *

To find all the stories of my amazing adventures in southeast Asia, go here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!