Friday, May 31, 2013

Hands And Feet

"Oh, I got music coming outta my hands and feet and kisses." --Julian Casablancas

Brace yourself. I'm about to show you some adorable kids.

Yes, adorable they are. Also they are smart, clever, intelligent, creative students who have not only learned a lot about art this year, but can also apply this theoretical knowledge to their work any old day of the week.

Bold claims, I know. But I've got the photographic evidence to prove it.


Here you see my darling students partaking of one of their all-time favorite projects - making hand and foot prints. We tackle this messy but oh so fun task every year on the last day of class, which happened to be yesterday, and my students are always enthusiastic. As usual, sleeves are rolled up and socks stripped off at record paces. The paint flies thick and fast, and bright pages of colorful hands and feet eventually cover the top of every table in the room. It's been this way for years.

One of the joys of our school is that students can choose to work with the same teachers for years on end.

One of the challenges of our school is that teachers must find ways to keep the learning fresh for students who keep coming back.

So this year, my students and I talked a lot about the Elements and Principles of Design. These advanced art concepts represent a range of ideas and choices that artists ponder as they create their work, and my students have astonished me with their ability to not only understand these concepts but to apply them to their own projects.

Even on this traditional day of chaos, my students thoughtfully applied their understanding of color theory, movement, value, shape, pattern and the other elements and principles as they created art with their hands and feet.

They are true artists, and I could not be more proud.

* * * * *

For more stories about my talented and adorable art students, read:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!